...well actually it doesn't. What is actually does, is blow hard directly into the path of a bicyclopsing Mrs Pingu, flip her the v's and go 'ner ner ner ner ner' while simultaneously mooning.
You could say I've had a bad weekend with the weather.
So, having still not done a 200 this year, D & I decided that we would do a 'Mr Pingu's homebrew' 200 being as the weather looked ok. Weather forecast on Sat was for a SSE wind, light in the morning but building to around 12mph in the afternoon. So our nefarious plan was to head south, so that at the mid point and the leg home we'd have a nice tail wind.
Haahahahha!
So we had a reasonable headwind on the way down there, which seemed to be building a wee bit at times. Got to the turning point, I was feeling pretty knackered (this already being my longest ride since April. Now I hold my hand up at this point and admit that my grasp of navigation is pretty ropey at the best of times. So we're heading from Memus to Brechin on the home leg, and it's pretty bloody windy. And I say to Pingu....'er.... aren't we going east to Brechin???' (thinking why is it so bloody windy?) and he replies 'actually we're going more like north east to Brechin'. Arghhhh! So the bloody wind has not only built up but somehow (more on that later) changed direction so we have a bastard headwind on the way home. Now I'm already bloody knackered, and the thought of doing 95km into a pig of a headwind doesn't fill me with glee. For a start, it might be about 1430 but if I have to battle that wind it's probably going to be more like 8, 9, 10pm before I get home.
I have a sense of humour failure and a massive swearing fit. Pingu suggests I ride from Brechin to Montrose and get the train home from there. I really bloody well don't want to, and am quizzing Pingu about the relative distance to Stonehaven, to see if I can salvage a 150km ride from the day, even if I can't get a 200 done.
Just as i'm thinking that, we suddenly turn out of the sheltered area we've been cycling though, the wind bites again, and i think, 'bollocks to that'.
Strangely, when we stop in Brechin for drinks and noms (Pingu buys chocolately pastry things to make me feel better) the sun suddenly comes out, the most we've seen it all day! And then Boblert offers to drive me home if I can make it to his house. So I do, and he feeds me tea and cake, and I just manage to squeeze 137km out of the day.
And the weather forecast?.... all the weather website I looked at in the evening were still swearing blind that the wind was a SSE, all afternoon. Liars!
So, today Bob came up for a bike ride. Weather forecast was for southerly wind, but for some reason I decided we should head north (prolly cos we went south yesterday). Boy did I regret that later. Still, apart from the wind, the weather was lovely all day, got plenty sun, stopped for lunch and a nice pint in Oldmeldrum. Then on the way home, we had a nasty headwind. And somehow it seemed that Aberdeen was nothing but uphill from Oldmeldrum. I'm damn sure it's not, but it certainly seemed that way. Anyway, that was another fairly painful day but 80km out of the way, so this month's total is looking a bit better.....
My knees and legs are bloody killing me though. More miles needed.
Lolcat of the day (this is not me, honest)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment